Saturday, April 21, 2007

What a great day to network

What a great day it was today! Nice weather has finally arrived in the Northeast and it was a beautiful day in Long Island. We got some sandwiches, went to one of our favorite wineries and ate our sandwich, drank some wine and enjoyed the great weather. We had a nice chat with the couple next to us, who were doing the same thing. Its one of the best parts about the East End of Long Island and I enjoy as much of it as I can.

I have learned to really enjoy meeting new people and finding out about them. I have recently finished reading Keith Ferrazzi's book "Never Eat Alone" and from it I have learned that one of the benefits about seeking a new position is the opportunity to meet and interface with so many other people who are out there looking. We all need help and since I have learned a few lessons in this process, I am able to help others out and get rewards myself.

I am too often shocked by the folks who don't follow the simple rules of engagement in this process. It seems that using a computer removes from people all the basic elements of human engagement and they forget that manners and consideration are all important in making new connections. Always try to look at it from the other persons point of view, if the person is busy - be very considerate of their time and make sure that you are adding value to them.

Ines Mergel made a great post about this on her blog the other day "Career Networking - puh - do I have to be nice to everyone?" Some people violate basic rules on a regular basis and make us all look bad. The good news is that you can stand out by doing it right, being considerate and having something to say.

No comments: